Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world's most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America.
As the Principal Data Engineering Architect, you will oversee the strategy, architecture, development, and operation of Airwallex's data and AI platforms. You will play a pivotal role in influencing data-driven and AI-powered decision-making processes. A key aspect of your role will also include building a high-performing team that excels in a fast-paced environment. Your leadership will be critical in mentoring the team, promoting a culture of innovation, and driving technical excellence.
- Spearheaded the identification and resolution of Airwallex-wide challenges using cutting-edge data platform solutions.
- Provide visionary technical direction, fostering a community within Airwallex's data realm, and actively leading in solving complex problems hands-on.
- Advocate for best practices across the data platform, instilling a culture of craftsmanship and innovation.
- Mentor the team, nurturing both technical and professional development.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in Data Platform or an equivalent combination of work and academic exposure in a quantitative field.
- Proven experience leading company-wide initiatives across multiple teams or influencing tech roadmap planning.
- Effective collaboration with diverse teams and stakeholders to drive tangible business outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to balance execution and velocity with in-depth research, statistical understanding, and scalable design.
- Track record of mentoring and investing in the development of scientists, engineers, and peers.
- Experience providing technical leadership on significant projects, covering ETL frameworks, metrics stores, infrastructure management, and data security.
- Proficiency in building, deploying, and maintaining reliable multi-geographical data pipelines at scale.
- Familiarity with workflow or orchestration frameworks such as Airflow, DBT, etc.
- Hands-on design experience in crafting data processing patterns for a modern Lakehouse architecture.
- Contribute to the design and development of standard framework modules, high-performance services, and client libraries for big data using tools like GCP, Databricks, BigQuery, DataProc, Kafka, Kubernetes, Spark, DataFlow, Google Cloud Storage, and Airflow.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills tailored for diverse audiences (leadership, users, company-wide).
- Ability to rapidly evaluate various technologies and conduct proof of concepts to drive architecture design.
- Experience thriving in a complex environment.
- Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore. (On-site, full-time)
At Airwallex you'll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you'll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don't regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.
Principal Architect - Data Engineering Platform (On-site, Relocate to Shanghai, Beijing or Singapore)